Almond Chile Sauce – makes ~1.25 cups
- ½ C almond butter (no sugar, oil, salt added if possible)
- ½ C water
- 2 ½ Tblsp fresh lime juice
- 2 ½ Tblsp tamari (or liquid aminos OR coconut aminos)
- 1 Tblsp minced ginger
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
Combine ingredients in high-speed blender until smooth.
Veggie Bowl Prep – Ingredients:
- 1 C dry black rice (or Miracle Rice or Banza rice)
- 1 can adzuki beans (I prefer the Eden brand)
- 1 block organic sprouted tofu (I used Trader Joe’s brand)
- 1 large organic sweet potato or 2 medium ones, cubed
- 1 organic red pepper, chopped
- 4-5 stalks organic kale, cut in thin strips – I use this amazing tool
- 1 leek, sliced
- ½ C finely chopped red cabbage
- ½ C chopped fresh cilantro
- Handful pumpkin seeds (I prefer toasted)
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- ½ Tblsp avocado oil+
- Salt (Redmond’s, Himalayan, or Celtic) & pepper to taste
- Start by preparing rice according to package instructions.
- Strain and rinse beans. Set aside.
- Press out water from tofu and cut into cubes. On the stove, coat pan with a thin layer of avocado oil and put tofu squares on pan. Flip tofu once the heated side begins to brown.
- In a separate large pan, add sliced leeks and ½ Tblsp of avocado oil and sauté until translucent (about 3-5 minutes).
- Turn down heat on pan, add the cubed sweet potatoes and 2 Tblsp of water and cover. This will steam the potatoes and cook them faster. Let steam for 5 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add beans to a separate pan to warm up (or feel free to keep cold).
- Once the potatoes are a little soft, turn heat back up to medium, add the red pepper, sesame oil and salt and pepper to taste. Sauté for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add kale to the pan and cook another 3 minutes. This is just to expose it to heat and soften a bit, not to fully cook it.
- Assemble your bowl by adding rice, sweet potato mix, and tofu. Top with red cabbage, cilantro and pumpkin seeds.
- Add sauce to taste.
Elimination Diet if you omit the tofu
Anti-Candida Diet if you use coconut aminos for the sauce; miracle rice for the bowl; cut potato serving in 1/2
Cardiometabolic/Mediterranean Diet as is
Nutrition Facts (per serving with 3/4 C black rice, 1/4 block tofu, 1/4 C beans, and 5 Tblsp sauce):
Carbohydrates: 59 gms
Protein: 26 gms
Fat: 17 gms
Fiber: 11 gms
Sugar: 0 gms
Sodium: 272 gms