Serves 2 (can easily ½ the recipe for a solo dish)
For the salmon
2 wild-caught salmon fillets, about 6 oz each, skin-on
*Keeping the skin on keeps the fish more moist. If you have a dog, they love the skin!
Salt and pepper, to taste (I prefer Celtic or Himalayan salt)
1 Tblsp avocado oil for cooking
For the relish
1 large or two small avocados, skin and stone removed, diced into bite-sized pieces
1 large organic tomato or a handful of cherry tomatoes, diced into bite-sized pieces
6–7 small organic Persian cucumbers or half of a seedless English cucumber, diced into bite-sized pieces
Salt and pepper, to taste (see note above on salt)
2 Tblsp extra-virgin olive oil, 1st cold pressed
2 Tblsp chopped fresh herbs — cilantro, chives, and mint are nice
3–4 ice cubes
Salad mix, arugula, baby spinach, or similar salad greens – go organic
- Lightly season each salmon fillet (non-skin side) with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine diced tomato, cucumber, avocado, and salt and pepper.
- Cut the lemon in half. From one half, cut 4–5 thin slices; set aside to use as garnish. Squeeze the juice from the other half over the veggies in the bowl.
- Add the olive oil to the veggies and toss gently to coat.
- Heat a large ceramic or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat; once it’s hot, add avocado oil. Place the salmon flesh-side down in the skillet and loosely cover with a lid (to minimize splatter).
- Cook for about 3 minutes, then flip the salmon to skin-side down in the skillet.
- Add 3–4 ice cubes to the skillet and then cover with the lid. Cook for another 3–3 ½ minutes.
- Meanwhile, get out salad plates and put a large handful of salad greens on each.
- Remove the lid from the skillet, and as soon as the water (melted ice) has evaporated, remove the salmon and place it on top of the greens, allowing room for the avocado salsa.
- Give the salsa another gentle toss if needed, and divide between the salad plates, next to the salmon, on top of the greens.
- Sprinkle the fresh herbs over the top of the entire salad and garnish with sliced lemon.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information (per serving):
21 gms carbohydrate
2 gms sugar
11 gms fiber
38 gms protein
41 gms fat