Souper Bowl Soup
This is a great way to clean out your fridge. I made this for Super Bowl 2019.
- 3 Tblsp Avocado Oil
- 1 whole Onion, peeled & chopped I like to red for the color, but any are ok
- 3 whole Carrots, peeled & chopped I like the variety - purple, white, orange
- 1 whole Green pepper, seeded & chopped organic
- 3 stalks Celery, chopped organic
- 1 whole Sweet potato, peeled & chopped organic
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced I prefer fresh or for convenience, minced from the jar
- 1 15 oz Can fire-roasted tomatoes, diced organic
- 1 bunch Kale, spinach, or swiss chard rinsed & chopped organic
- 1 tsp Thyme, dried
- 1 tsp Oregano, dried
- 6 cups Bone broth or Vegetable broth organic
- 1 pound Ground turkey or chicken pasture-raised ideally
In a skillet over medium heat, brown the ground turkey or chicken and set aside.
While the meat is browning, take time to clean and chop all the vegetables and gather all your ingredients onto your counter.
In a stock pot over medium heat, saute the onion until it's translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
Add the carrots, green pepper, celery, and sweet potato. Saute until your veggies are tender and starting to brown, about 10-12 minutes.
Add the garlic and saute about 30 seconds.
Stir in the thyme and oregano.
Add 1/2 cup of the broth to help deglaze the stockpot and loosen any veggie pieces from the bottom of the pot. Cook until the liquid is cut in half.
Stir in the tomatoes, ground turkey or chicken and the remaining 5.5 cups of broth.
Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.
Decrease the heat to low and cover the pot. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
Stir in your greens and cook another 3-4 minutes or until they are just tender but not wilted.
**Instant Pot option: Select the Saute option and complete steps 3-5 above. Turn off the pot, add all ingredients (except the greens, but you can add raw meat - I like to drop chunks of it on the top of the veggies for better distribution), and select the soup option at the high setting for 15 minutes. When done, release the steam, open the pot and stir in the greens. Let sit a few moments then serve.
Appropriate for: Paleo, Elimination Diet, Anti-Candida Diet, Modified Ketogenic
- Low Histamine: omit the tomatoes & use kale or swiss chard, no spinach
- Low FODMAP: omit the garlic and onions & make sure these ingredients are not listed in your broth selection