Paleo Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Taking muffins to the next level — this recipe offers you a tasty muffin with added nutrition!
- 1 cup almond flour (112 grams)
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour (64 grams)
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour (32 grams)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour (28 grams)
- 3/4 cup sugar substitute (168 grams) Use any 1:1 ratio sugar substitute. We used Lakanto monk fruit sweetener
- 1 tsp baking powder (for 1 teaspoon of cornstarch-free baking powder, use 1/2 tsp cream of tartar, 1/4 tsp arrowroot, and 1/4 tsp baking soda)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Flax eggs (Mix 2 tbsp ground flaxseed meal with 5 tbsp of water and let set for 10-15 minutes until consistency of eggs.)
- 1/3 cup melted refined coconut oil or grapeseed oil (75 grams)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (270 grams)
- 3/4 cup sugar-free chocolate chips (we used Lily's dark chocolate sugar free)
Preheat oven to 350° F
Make the flax eggs
Grease a 12-cup muffin tray
In a medium bowl mix the oil (melted if using coconut oil), vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar and banana until well blended
In a large bowl, whisk the flours, sugar substitute, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt until well blended
Once the flax eggs are ready, add them to the flour mixture along with the banana mixture; fold in the chocolate chips.
Fill each muffin cup with about a ¼ cup batter. There will be enough batter for 12 muffins
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
Allow to cool completely in the pan. Once cooled, use a knife to gently loosen the sidesand lift the muffin out of the pan. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Thesecan be enjoyed cold or warmed up.
For a quick bread loaf:
Lightly grease a 9” x 5” loaf pan. Evenly spread the batter in the pan and bake for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted into center comes out clean. Allow to cool 90 minutes before slicing. Loaf will be slightly fragile, so it’s recommended to slice the loaf in the pan. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.